Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Random Thoughts: What I see in Monrovia, plus Ellen and Snowe

Dearest Mama,

Last week, I was saying, “Monrovia, here I come.” Today, the song is, “Monrovia, here I am!” Are you surprise Mama? I am rather surprised that just as I was landing, you were leaving for the remote part of the village.

Well, while I was looking for you on the streets of Monrovia, I saw many things: some regular sights, most unclear, imprecise sights that are faint to my mind and understanding; others questionable, and a few unusual. During this election season, should I talk about the parking ticket system, where drivers pay certain amount to park on the streets of Monrovia? Should I write about how I rode a vehicle that passed in front of the Executive Mansion without coming face to face with [a] member(s) of a military or paramilitary force? Do I talk about the pedestrians who congregate on the streets of Monrovia every morning to wrestle for public transportation? Or I can talk about the elections season because of the intensity and vibrancy of the election campaigns?

Did I just say the campaign is intriguing? Oooh yes Mama, it is! Get this right; I have not attended any of the active rallies, or directly witnessed political campaigns. But I can safely claim that I have seen probably more than what attendees have seen. There are eye-catching billboards on the streets, and I saw some from the moment my flight began landing at the Roberts International Airport; and also taken a glimpse of large billboards plus small campaigning at the airport, when partisans welcomed part delegation from the U.S.A. There are also super large billboards on the highways. Campaign materials are also carried by partisans on the highway between the airport and Monrovia. I wish we could stand for few moments in front of some of the humongous billboards and placards on the streets of Monrovia. Some of the slogans are filled with platform materials, others are ‘tight,” while there are the ones that will loosen the belly.

Have you seen the slogan ones that reads, “Monkeys still working, so baboon wait small?” When I saw that slogan, I had to turn my head twice to make sure I was reading right. I began reflecting on the reverse: “Monkey work, baboon chop.” Ah, hay. Who came out with the slogan: “Monkey still working, so baboon wait small?” So after monkey fini working, will baboon come to eat? Someone tell me Ooo.

Oh, but Mama, let me quickly admit that I haven’t visited many streets, but the few I have plied are filled with series of billboards, and campaign materials on poles, buildings, homes, and worn by people. But wait, that’s not the juice. Gimme few moments to lay out what you never thought would have happened in this life time. At least I never thought it would in my lifetime.

Mama, the political climate here is really interesting. The political campaign has seen a shift in political pledges, and given birth to new political jargons and attitudes that political scientist may well begin breaking down, and exploring. Who knows, the next worldwide political ideology and practices may be drawn from this tiny village. Did you ever think that Former dies hard supporters of other political parties including, Snowe, Browne and others would be supporting the presidential second term bid of EJS? When I saw Snowe on television last night, wearing an UP campaign T-shirt that had engraved on it: Vote UP, I almost fell from the sofa. I asked my host, General in a stammering tone “Is that Snowe?” Her response was in the affirmative, I still could not believe my eyes; I pulled out my reading glasses, but it only hampered my sight since the glasses is only for reading, and not intended to enhance my sight for watching TV. I shifted my head from left to right, and then up and down, trying to get what I thought would be a better view of the TV screen. Or did I move my head in the four directions because I wanted my doubt to reign supreme at that moment? If that was my motive, then I was wrong because my own doubts were being dominated by the truth of what is actually occurring during this intense political season.

I then walked past General and drove my head in the face of the TV screen. But still, I came face to face with Snowe as he spoke incessantly; campaigning for EJS’ reelection. Ah, hay! Who would have ever imagined this twist of event, I asked myself as I glided across the living room to the sofa. My body was exhausted from the day’s activities. My mind was tired from the intense exercise it had engaged in during the last few days, but my curiosity was just warming up.

As I stood there, glued to the screen, I wondered whether I have observed a political rally, or was my presence at political rallies only for assignments? That unspoken question was actually a rhetorical one. I turned my attention to the screen and saw Deebah with a wide smile on his face as he stood closed to the president. The beam on his face continued to widen as he clapped. In a few moments V. Sherman took the screen, and then there was Kofi, Samuakai, Nguafan, and the list went on and on. I was like “wow.”

Then musician Friday took the stage with his dancers. The swinging of hips and legs went on and on, while I reflected on the days when Snowe and Browne and others stood with fist in the chest as they defended their cause. What happened? When did they change their cause? Or did they change their cause, or their vision of life just changed? My head began to ache, and I realized that only Snowe and Co can answer my series of questions.

When I sat on the sofa, my friend and host might have observed that I was surprised at the turn of events. She said, “You have not seen anything?” I turned to her and asked, “You mean there’s something more than Snowe on this campaign trail.” She said “of course.” But before I could say ‘jack,’ General said, “Do you know that Jean Richardson, S. Morlu and Darrius Diloon are also supporting EJS second term bid. I said, “you kidding.” Her response; a giggle. I tried to allow the night to flow with a close up picture of Snowe lingering on the screen. The design on his T-Shirt, “Vote UP” kept nagging at me. I wish I had my camera at that very moment to snap the historic picture. But my camera was in another room, and I didn’t want to miss a scene on the screen. Prehaps, just perhaps I may get the chance to see Snowe in the next few days. When I do, I will take a snap of Snowe all the “guys” in their campaign outfit to show you Mama.

Right now, I must take a stroll down the street before the “pan- pan” (Motor bike riders) take over the streets.

Always
musue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.