Saturday, March 14, 2009

Random Thought: Reflecting on '09 Resolutions: Are They Within Our Range?

Dearest Mama,

Hello, hello, hello. The spirit of the New Year is already in me.

Are you feeling it already? I hope so. Well, in the U.S.A, people are saying that that the spirit of 09 started with the political change that resulted to the elections of Barack Obama as President of the United States. Well, it’s New Year, and most people are making resolutions for 2009. I just gathered that some people are mixing small and large wishes for the New Year.

Some people’s resolutions are that Obama will overturn the financial crisis in the U.S.A, and polish the image of the U.S.A abroad. A Liberian on the East Coast in the United States wishes to complete his studies with flying colors; another wishes to find a “soul mate;” while one man sitting cozily near his wife wishes for three things this year: Peace in the Middle East, take his wife on a cruise to the Caribbean, and an end to Corruption in Liberia. I almost wanted to ask this man; why of all the other romantic places in the World he is keen on taking his wife to the Caribbean.

My interest in knowing why he wants a cruise to the Caribbean isn’t because I am inquisitive, (maybe just tiny winy curious), but after he mentioned an end to corruption in Liberia, I stood up, used my hands to stroke the imaginary dust off my ‘behind’ and walked away. I couldn’t help thinking, “end to corruption in Liberia.” Does this man even understand how long corruption has existed in Liberia? Does he understand that corruption is deeply entrenched in that society? As I began playing the mind game with myself- picturing the different corrupt practices, and how people have come to see those practices as a way of life, I wanted to make a U turn to this man’s home. My intention was to just explain some of the corrupt practices and why it may be impossible that that particular wish- end to corruption was almost impossible in 2009.

As I stood there contemplating whether I should make that U turn, I started giggling. I quickly looked around, hoping that passersby don’t see me. If people saw me standing there alone and laughing, they would begin making ugly assumptions. I didn’t want that. So I pulled out my cell phone, held it to my ear, pretending that I was on the phone. And I laughed to my delight. It was fun laughing, and being able to successfully con the nosy passersby. Mama, you want to know why I was laughing. I was laughing at all the trickery attitudes of some of our people back home. You know, during those days, I mean before I crossed the ocean, I heard many stories of how some government officials had to back down on promises to weed out corruption from certain institutions, or withdraw their intention to take stance on certain undemocratic practices. These officials would announce that they would get rid of people engaged in corrupt practices.

Sometimes these officials would be almost specific about areas where they would focus on tackling corrupt or unfair practices. But guess what, after making those big announcements, at night they would then be reminded about their own direct and indirect roles in fueling those corrupt practices. Take for example, Mr. Man, or Madam Woman is the Boss of a certain institution. This Boss sends a note to the Port, directing that a certain item or a container is released without going through appropriate inspection. Tax is also waived on this item. After some time, Director of Port also goes to Mr. /Madam Boss to “assist” with passing certain papers through the system. No question asked; the paper goes through the system quickly. Then one day, this Boss wants to take action against the Director of the Port for being inefficient. Is it possible for Mr. or Madam Boss to take punitive action against the Director of the Port? If you are the Director of the Port, what will you do? This act of ‘looking out for one another,” also called, “you wash my back and I scrub your back,” is just one of the practices that fuels corrupt practices, allowing it to become a part of the norms within institutions. So, when people are making New Year wishes, perhaps we should start asking ourselves whether our resolutions and wishes for the year are within our range.

If we are making wishes for corruption to end in Liberia, can we be sure that the officials are also making resolutions to stop dispensing funds from the national coffers for their personal use? Picture this: Mr. or Mrs. Boss is sitting in Liberia, strategizing how much to steal from the national coffers, while you are sitting at another end of the World, wishing that corruption ends in Liberia for 2009. Who is closer to your target: You, or the Boss who is not only closer to the target, but already alert and waiting to pound on the target, as always, and again and again.

Well, to get rid of corruption, government will have to institute measures that will curb and remove some of the conditions that nurture and breed corruption within the Liberian society. The preventive measures against corruption will have to be concurrently initiated, and simultaneously carried out in various public institutions; they must be accompanied by stern actions against those who flout regulations aimed at curbing corrupt practices. Curtailing corruption in Liberia will definitely take a lot of work. Measures will have to be put in place to clamp down on the existence of ‘network' where certain self- interested persons continue to use their connections through this network to preserve their status without merit. Let’s ask ourselves whether that is possible within 2009. Is it? Can that really happen when even at this moment, people are floating gifts from one parts of the city to the next for the New Year to give government official. Just listen keenly, you will hear goats bleating because they are being dragged against their will, chickens chuckling, sheep baaing, ignitions of large small, and all colors of vehicles scurried across the city of Monrovia.

Well, Mama, for me, you already know my most important wish and resolution for 2009. Second to that is to do more writing. I know I had the same resolution last year - to write more than ever, but I wasn't able to, but I am hopeful this year, maybe because I can stand, beat my chest and say that I witnessed the beginning of a new era. Oh, by the way, I heard that Mr. Putor’s resolution is to increase his income for the New Year so that he can sustain his lifestyle – take care of his official family at his home, and also maintain his “lil” girlfriend.

Mr. Man lil girlfriend has threatened to leave him if he doesn’t buy her gold set, (necklace, earrings, and bracelet), in addition to releasing her suits from Mr. Abu, the tailor. Mr. Man said last year, he also made a resolution to live a decent life; that is to stop the infidelity, but he said he cannot resist the “lil girl.” “Every time I see her, he said, “My heart beats kutu, kutu, kuuutu, kuuutuuu.” Poor man, hope he doesn’t get heart attack. Mama, so what’s your resolution?

Resolution is all about admitting whatever mistakes we made and completing the old year with a promise, which is the resolution to change or do things differently during the New Year. To that end, with my precious jewel at my side, I’ll say: Any where the new year finds you, and whatever you are doing during the New Year, I hope the beautiful star that bring in the New Year fills your heart and your home with happiness. Happy New Year!

Always,
musue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.