Friday, June 18, 2010

Random Thoughts: Giving - God is Not a Mob Boss

Dearest Mama,

Thanks for your response to my last letter, “Prayers for Sale.” Yea, yea, I know some folks had problems with the little true story. It is not a “They say story, it is something I saw with my own eyes, not once, not twice, but many times. I am not against street preaching, but I get discourage when I see people take advantage of others.

I do appreciate feedback from everyone, particularly those from the village. Thanks to Sikuno for her letter. I could tell from the manner it was packaged that she didn’t find my letter to you and the villagers favorable. I hope she is not one of those who is paying for prayers and blessings. If she is one of the victims of such schemes, I want her to know that God loves her, and his love and blessings are not for sale.

I also want to share with my sister Sikuno some captivating comments from a sermon at one of the churches here. Bishop Darlington Johnson of Bethel World Outreach, in his preaching on tithing said, “ tithing is one of the ways God allow us [a choice he wants us to make] to create and protect our wealth and finances. In order to protect our finances from Satan, we must bring our tithe [10%] of our wealth into God’s store house.”

Bishop Johnson said, though God wants us to tithe, “God is not a Mob Boss, who will stick a gun to our heads demanding 10% of our income. Unlike the Mob Boss who will harass you to buy protection by giving, or threaten you and your families, the purpose of tithing is to show faith in God, that he [God] will take care of your needs and you will not have to rely on material things.”

I know, some people are already hissing their teeth at the mention of 10%. It is not necessary to get a lawyer to defend you in this matter, because in the Bible, it says, [Psalm 24:1] "The earth belongs to God! Everything in all the world is His!" and honor him by giving our tithe.” Ah, let me quickly make a simple correction here. Yes, the earth belongs to God, and everything on this earth belongs to God. But that doesn’t mean we have to make the 10% payment of our income in the same manner we make our credit card payments, or the way we turn our heads when we pay our rent. We shouldn’t angrily or reluctantly pull out our check books, or tear money out our purses and wallets to buy money orders, and sign off the ten percent [in the same manner we make minimum payment to credit card companies] and turn our backs. This is not about law, it is about love.

Bishop said giving with love [God’s way] and giving according to the law [the Mob Boss’ way] are two contrasting issues. In his words, ‘Law is external, and not from the heart. Law can get people to conform externally, but cannot capture the heart. God wants us to give with love and faith. God wants us to believe him, he wants us to have faith, and he wants us to have a heart filled with love and faith – a place that better serves him.”
Bishop Johnson said, give with joy, be hilarious in your giving because you want to please God. In the Bible, 2 Corinthians 9:7, "Each man should give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."
Also remember in 2 Corinthians 9: 6-8, Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
Bishop added, “Giving to God hilariously makes our lives to come alive because the spirit of God’s grace can work through our prayers and all that we do.” [When I hear this I wanted to blow whistle.]

So, whatever you are thinking, please don’t think Aunty Margborlu can pay your tithe. PaGono can buy a gift for you, but he cannot pay your tithe. Leave Mr. PayZeh out of this too, he cannot pay your tithe. This is like a bundle we all have to carry on our own, and we must learn to do it with our hearts.

With love and faith in God, I will have to pay my tithe, and you will have to pay your tithe. As Bishop Johnson said, giving voluntarily, and giving hilariously to God is a way of “honoring him, it make us bigger, it make us rich in faith, and it is a way of activating God’s promises in our lives.”

I understand, and we all know that things are tough – the harvest is not very good this year. Even here, in the kwee people’s land, most offices have closed down, leaving many of us without jobs. But think about it this way, would you hold back on your 10% tithe so that you can have the 100% of your income without God’s blessings on your finances, or have 90% of your income with God’s blessings?

If you are still struggling with letting go of the 10%, look at these verses:

Deuteronomy 8:18 tells us “Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.”

Malachi 3:10-12: “‘Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food [tithing in God’s house is the food, which provides the ability and finances for the church to reach out to others] in My house, and try Me now in this’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field’ says the LORD of hosts; ‘And all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delightful land’ says the LORD of hosts.”

I know that by God’s grace, soon I will begin going on the farm again. Even in these rough times, I am seeing and appreciating God’s blessings when I tithe.
Mama, let me stop here. I must run to pick up your grandson. I missed the 3:00pm bus. Geez! The post guy said he wants you to send some country soda.

Always
musue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.